Fun water activities near Wirksworth, one of the most landlocked towns in the UK
Adventure for all the family
Cromford Canal is where the locals go to cycle, dog walk, run but acclimbatize an adventure company based on the outskirts of Wirksworth, can also take our guests, as a group staying at Agricola House, canoeing along Cromford canal. A leisurely briefing by an instructor is followed by some team games to remind everyone of their water skills before a very relaxing amble along the canal. Ducks, swans, moor hens, a kingfisher or a water vole if you’re lucky and dragon flies can all be spotted. Life is slowed down to the pace of the canoe and you can see so much more! Due to the rich diversity of wildlife, the canal has been designated as a site of scientific interest. Regular canal boat trips run down the same canal and perfect for a family afternoon tea.
What wildlife can you spot along the way ?
If water activities are not suitable for all the family, then along the 5 miles of towpath you can visit the canal wharf buildings at Cromford, a well-preserved railway workshop, cross a canal swing bridge and see a still-operational pumphouse.
Cycling and walking along the towpath may suit other members of the family with plenty of paths connecting to other cycle and walking routes.
Why not visit Cromford Mills as well?
If this isn’t enough to do and you want to make a full day out then Park at Cromford Mills, the home of Sir Richard Arkwright’s first mill complex, birthplace of the modern factory system and internationally recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
8 Reasons to visit Cromford Canal when staying at Agricola House
1. Something for all the family whether you want to take a canal boat trip or canoe at a leisurely pace
2. It is where the locals come for a cycle or walk along the tow path and locals always know the best places to visit..
3. The Canal has abundant wildlife to spot and see along your way
4. Bring some bird food as the smaller members of the party will enjoy feeding the ducks.
5. Historical canal and railway buildings to explore
6. Park at Cromford Mills to see the fascinating exhibition about Sir Richard Arkwright
7. If this isn’t enough and for a bit of high end retail therapy, the John Smedley factory shop is located at Lea- a short drive away. Who doesn’t love some British high-end knitwear?
8. Refresh those water skills- can you remember when you last went canoeing?